Friday, November 15, 2013

Tell It Forward: LITS Staff 'Zine Profiles

During a recent LITS all-staff meeting, Leslie Fields (Head of Archives & Special Collections), and Caro Pinto (Library & Instructional Technology Liaison), gave us all a quick intro to 'zine making. They came prepared with crayons, glue, scanned images to cut out, and even glitter pens (!)...then we were all instructed to make a personal 'zine to tell our LITS staff story.  What followed was a batch of wonderful handmade narratives, and we wanted to share some of them as part of these staff profiles.  Introducing: Jason Proctor, LITS Senior Web Applications Developer.



What is your job in LITS?

"I help keep the website running. I don't really do much writing for it, and I'm not a designer. I'm a programmer and I make sure others can do cool things on the web."

How long have you been here?

"Forever? Really, it's only 6 1/2 years, but I used to drive by every day when I worked at UMass 15 years ago, and the campus just called to me even then."




What is your favorite physical space in LITS?

"The Whiting Alcove. The North Mezzanine. The "Ask LITS" wall. The Stimson Room. My office. The bridge. The little part of 2 1/2 underneath the Reading Room. The balcony in the Reading Room...The old elevator with the lightswitch...The court before the new sculpture...The court after the new sculpture..."

When you're not spending time on campus, what do you like to do in your spare time?

The hobby that consumes most of my spare time and money is being a roller derby official. Yes, there are rules; the modern revival is very different from the campy staged fights of the 70's. I started about 7 years ago, which makes me the longest serving official in New England. I am currently the head of officiating for the CT RollerGirls, but I work with teams all over, including two in the Valley.

If you weren't at MHC doing web applications development, what would you be doing?

I love my job; it is exactly the kind of work I want to be doing. It took me many years to figure that out. Before I came to MHC, I thought for a while that I might want to be faculty instead of staff. After an expensive detour to work on a PhD, I got over that feeling. I'm happy being staff, and I love the commitment to the common cause that I see everywhere at Mount Holyoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment