Thursday, May 1, 2014

LITS Student Employee Profile: Aysha Mehjabeen on the LITS Web Team!

Web programmer Aysha Mehjabeen is a Mount Holyoke College senior, but after she graduates this May she'll be continuing at UMass to earn a second bachelor's in the Dual-Degree Engineering program. Since 2011 Aysha has supplemented her computer science and computer systems engineering studies with web application programming on the LITS Web Team, and we asked her a few questions about her experience.


Name:
Aysha Mehjabeen

Hometown:
Dhaka, Bangladesh

Class Year:
2014

Major/Minor:
Majors: Computer Science, Computer Systems Engineering (at UMass)
Minor: Physics

Student Employee Position:
Web Programmer

When did you start working for the LITS Web Team?
Fall 2011

How did you hear about the position, and why were you interested?
I saw this position listed on JobX and decided to apply, because it seemed like a great match for the kind of technical work I wanted to get involved in. It looked to be a promising opportunity to apply my programming skills and learn new ones.

What is your favorite LITS Web project thus far? Least favorite?
My favorite would be my most recent project, where I designed and coded a Drupal module that retrieves relevant information from the website database. My least favorite would be one of my earlier projects, where I had to manually migrate a large amount of content (academic department and faculty profiles) from the old MHC website to the current one.

How do you think this position has helped your professional development?
This position allowed me the opportunity to work independently and collaboratively on real projects in a professional environment. I also gained many marketable technical skills and experience with current web technologies. These qualities attract potential employers and help to start meaningful conversations with recruiters.

What are your career goals?
I plan to work in software or back-end web development. This summer, I will be working as a software engineering intern, and will return to UMass in the fall to finish my fifth year in the dual degree engineering program.

Favorite class at MHC?
Artificial Intelligence—This subject itself is interesting (and controversial), but I enjoyed this class mostly for being able to work in groups on fun, complex robotics projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment