Friday, May 16, 2014

LITS Student Employee Profile: Monica Chelliah on the LITS Web Team!

When Monica Chelliah joined the LITS Web Team she had programming experience not only from her Computer Science studies but also from her role as a student researcher in Professor Maria Gomez's computational chemistry group. As it turned out, even her web work turned out to have a connection to the science buildings.

This weekend Monica will be graduating from Mount Holyoke. Congratulations to Monica, to our other departing LITS seniors, and to all the 2014 Mount Holyoke College graduates!


Name:
Monica Chelliah

Class Year:
2014

Major/Minor:
Double Major in Chemistry and Computer Science

Student Employee Position:
Web Programmer

When did you start working for the LITS Web Team?
September 2012

How did you hear about the position, and why were you interested?
I came across the job listing on JobX, and it immediately caught my interest since I wanted a position where I would obtain skills that complemented my computer science major. Plus it seemed the most challenging and fun.

What is your favorite LITS Web project thus far? Least favorite?
My favorite LITS Web project has to be the Science Webcam viewer where I put together a small application that lapses through a sequence of images taken five minutes apart over 10 years. It shows Kendade being built minute by minute, which is really cool!

How do you think this position has helped your professional development?
This position definitely gave me an opportunity to see how a real web development team would function and I have learnt several skills that I otherwise would have not.

Career goals?
As of now, I am heading to graduate school at UMass for Computer Science.

Favorite class at MHC?
My favorite course has to be Data Structures with visiting Prof. Christopher Andrews. It was also the most challenging class I have taken but I enjoyed the coding projects immensely.

1 comment:

  1. Great post . It takes me almost half an hour to read the whole post. Definitely this one of the informative and useful post to me. Thanks for the share and plz visit my site Programming 21st and century provide offshore outsourcing service, freelance service, personal assistant,web development, customer service, marketing services.






    ReplyDelete